April 27, 2010


I was in Carbondale, IL this past weekend (visiting the better half), and was surrounded by moderatedly severe weather.  I am in the process of getting my new laptop, so unfortunately, I didn't have access to GR Level yet.  But, I kept close tabs on the developing situation in Yazoo City, MS, as well as developing storms near the Carbondale area.  I was treated with a nice cell, with a pronounced Bow Echo during the mid-afternoon on Saturday, as the shortwave had ejected from the SW U.S. ahead of the main Low Pressure system.  With good low level moisture in place in the South, and very favorable instability, as well good wind shear, everything seemed in place for a tornado outbreak in the south, and it sure didn't disappoint.  It was unfortunate that the limited severe weather that we have had this year, that the best day had to take so many lives in Mississippi.

On my way home Sunday afternoon, I was driving West on IL-24, outside of Forrest, IL.  I was intrigued by what looked to be a little bit of forcing/lift to the west of me.  Without having access to any type of Visible Satellite, or Radar; I would tend to say that the small towers that were going up was done by an outflow boundary/cold air boundary left over as remnants of the exiting Low Pressure system.  I noticed a pronounced wind shift to the NE, and a drop in temperature with that Cold Air Advection.  The south side of the small cumulo formed clouds were nicely lit by the sun that was breaking through the higher deck of stratiformed clouds.


No comments:

Post a Comment